A Brief History About ALLIS-CHALMERS
The original company, known as Edward P. Allis & Company was established in 1847 after acquiring a shop called "The Reliance Works". They produced such products as French burr millstones, portable mills, water wheels, shafting, hoisting screws and much more. In 1869, the company expanced into steam power and soon after followed the first Allis steam engine. The company line-up grew to include steam pumps including the largest centrifugal pump in American in 1884 and the first triple expansion pumping engine two years later.
The Allis Chalmers Company was formed when four midwestern machinery companies (Edward P Allis and Company, Fraser and Chalmers, Gates Iron Works, and Dickson Manufacturing Company) merged in 1901. Then came along Bullock Electrical Manufacturing Company. Allis-Chalmers tractor line was introduced in 1914 as they entered into the farm equipment business. The tractor business grew and in 1928 a line of crawler tractors was started. Several smaller manufacturers were acquired including LaCrosse Plow Company, Monarch, Advance-Rumely and later Gleaner adding extensive line of tillage implements, threshers and combines to the line-up. Allis-Chalmers was the first to introduce pneumatic tires on the Model U in 1929. Again making history in 1933 was the Allis-Chalmers WC model with the square engine design.
In 1985, Allis-Chalmers equipment division was purchased by K-H-Deutz of Germany. Deutz sold to AGCO, Inc in 1990.
Free online parts books for Allis Chalmers and others owned by AGCO are available here